Monday, April 11, 2011

First Day Blog) Particular Writers

Ever since I was younger, reading seemed to be shoved to the side.  With all the sports that I played when I was a kid there wasn't much time for me to do anything leisurely like reading a book.  However, it never really stopped me.  Since I can remember, I seem to always be in the middle or just wrapping up a series of thrillers or mysteries.

The first series of books I ever read were the Dave Pelzer trilogy.  His three recollections of his early childhood are breathtaking.  Throughout the trilogy Pelzer goes into detail about his abusive mother.  Abusive is an understatement for this woman.  The books were quite graphic but heartwarming nonetheless.  It is also interesting when someone looks into the history of his "abuse" and notes that there is no evidence of him ever being abused.  Even his younger brother denies he was ever abused.

It was rather funny when I went to my aunt's house over one Christmas weekend.  I noticed that she had a cabinet absolutely jammed full of Stephen King books.  When I talked to her about them, she just said that he is "amazing."  Obviously I wanted get into some of his stories so that's exactly what I did.  Glad am I that I took an interest in his novels.  I've read five of his novels including; The Shining, 'Salem's Lot, Misery, Pet Sematary, and IT.  King is truly a master of horror.  In my personal opinion if you've ever watched any of the movies based on his novels, read the books instead!  IT and Pet Sematary are nightmarish to me.

I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit that I've read all the Harry Potter books.  In fact I've read through all of them twice and a few of them even more than that.  When I start one it seems impossible to put it back down.  All I have to say is I can't wait until Death Hallows Pt. 2 comes out. :)

The final series of books that I've been reading to this point is the Stieg Larsson trilogy.  I'm about to start the second novel, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" within the week.  The suspense seems to be unmatchable, at least to me.  It's a shame that he died abruptly and couldn't finish his fourth book or for that matter the series of ten novels he was planning.

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate to this blog post. Growing up as a kid I was very active in school and sports so I had very little time (and desire) to read. However, like you I've always loved a good thriller. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors and you're right about the movie thing...they just don't compare to the books. Out of the the 5 books you've posted I've read 3 (Misery, IT, and The Shining) and I'd have to say IT was my favorite.

    One author I've been recommended to read by multiple people is Stieg Larsson. These people have all been of various age as well so that really speaks numbers to how good of an author he is. I'm really excited to pick up some of his books but it sucks that he died suddenly. I guess that's just one less creative and entertaining mind for this world :(

    Good first blog hope to see more in the future.

    ReplyDelete